Currently in the UK, all cars over 3 years old must legally have an MOT test carried out every year by an approved testing centre to check the technical elements of your vehicle to make sure it’s safe to drive and detect toxic emissions that could harm the environment.
The UK MOT test changed in May 2018 to meet new EU directives and there are five key changes that you need to know about:
1. Defects categorised differently
If a fault is found during your MOT, it is now categorised as either:
It is illegal to drive your vehicle with a failed MOT test so required repairs and a re-test need to be completed prior to driving it away from the test centre.
2. Stricter rules for diesel car emissions
Any car that has been fitted with a diesel particulate filter (DPF) that gives out “visible smoke of any colour” during testing now gets a major fault – an automatic fail. It also fails if the MOT tester finds evidence that the DPF has been tampered with.
3. New items tested during the MOT
In addition to the previous checks, new elements have been added to the testing procedure. These include checking whether:
• Tyres are obviously underinflated
• Brake fluid has been contaminated
• Fluid has leaked, posing an environmental risk
• Reversing lights on all vehicles are functional
• Brake pad warning lights are lit, and if brake pads or discs are missing
• Headlight washers on vehicles first used from 1 September 2009 (if they are fitted)
• Daytime running lights on vehicles first used from 1 March 2018
• Any warning lights illuminated (excluding low fuel) now constitute a fail including engine management lights.
4. Changes to the appearance of the MOT certificate
The design of the MOT certificate looks different. It now lists any defects under the new categories, so they’re clear and easy for motorists to understand.
The service to check the MOT history of a vehicle has also been updated to reflect the changes.
5. Vehicles over 40 years will no longer need an MOT
From 20th May 2018, most vehicles won’t need an MOT test from the 40th anniversary from the date of first registration. Previously only vehicles made before 1960 were MOT exempt.
EMC Uckfield are offering FREE MOT tests with every fixed price annual service from just £169 (+ £20 off every service for Uckfield Chamber of Commerce Members – please quote ‘Chamber 20’ ) for all car and light commercial vehicle makes and models. Telephone our friendly service team today on Tel: 01825 700500 or call into our dealership on Bellbrook Industrial Estate in Uckfield. We look forward to being of service to you.