The Government’s Kickstart scheme is designed to help young people whose dreams, careers and ideal jobs have been affected by COVID-19. The Kickstart scheme is a £2B fund designed to create thousands of high quality, 6-month work placements for young people aged 16-24, who are claiming Universal Credit.
“At a time when cashflow is tight, this fully funded scheme will help employers bring young people into the workplace and develop new talent for the future.” – BCC Head of People Policy Jane Gratton
. Kick Start Programme – overview
- create new 6-month job placements for young people who are currently on Universal Credit and at risk of long-term unemployment.
- The job placements should support the participants to develop the skills and experience they need to find work after completing Kick Start.
- Funding is available for 100% of the relevant National Minimum Wage for 25 hours a week, plus associated employer National Insurance contributions and employer minimum automatic enrolment contributions.
- There is also £1,500 per job placement available for setup costs, support and training.
- Applications must be for a minimum of 30 job placements, although read on for information on how to partner with other organisations.
- Each application should include how you will help the participants to develop their skills and experience, including support to look for long-term work, including career advice and setting goals and in supporting the participant with basic skills, such as CV and interview preparations, attendance, timekeeping and teamwork.
- Once a job placement is created, it can be taken up by a second person once the first successful applicant has completed their 6-month term
We fully understand that there will be very few Uckfield based businesses that will want to take on 30 job placements, which is why we are pleased to direct any expressions of interest to Sussex Chamber of Commerce, who will act as an intermediary representative – please click HERE for next steps; you don’t need to be a Chamber member to apply. Additional information on the scheme can be found on the Governments’ website HERE.